15 Eye-Opening Photos That Will Make You Think Twice About Going Swimming In The Ocean
Nature and Travel
On 19th March 2017
Swimming can seem like a fun time, especially if you’re swimming in a natural body of water with beautiful sea life. While water is truly a wonder, some people have encountered some truly horrifying organisms that will seriously make you reconsider swimming again!
1. Just before it breaks through the wave.
Make sure that you're not on the other side of the wave.
2. One flip of the tail, and everyone's getting wet.
And that's the best case scenario.
3. This is a proboscis worm.
It injects its prey with toxins, then swallows it whole. Normally, they're pretty small, but in the deep ocean...who knows?
4. Ever feel something tickling your feet in the ocean?
Well...it's probably not this guy. This is a deep-sea ocean fish.
5. That's a harmless basking shark.
Right? We're just guessing. Or that guy is insane.
6. There's something freaky about translucent fish.
Oh, yeah—it's that they're translucent.
7. This is the umbrella-mouth gulper eel.
So named because it has an umbrella-shaped mouth, it gulps, and it's an eel.
8. Watch your step in the ocean.
Is it just us, or do their eyes look like money symbols?
9. We're not sure whether this is more "freaky" or "awesome."
Given that the guy's clearly not wearing a shirt, we're going with "awesome."
10. Icebergs are freaky.
Just ask the people on the Titanic.
11. This is a diver kneeling beneath a wrecked ship.
Sure, it's probably safe, but...why tempt fate?
12. Meet the viperfish.
They really don't mess around when naming these things.
13. We have no idea what this is.
But the fact that it exists is troubling.
14. The ocean is basically the Mos Eisley bar from Star Wars.
Except there aren't any Han Solos to shoot stuff for you.
15. An Imgur user posted this photo of a fish inside a jellyfish.
Oddly cute, until you consider the situation from the fish's perspective...